Thursday 12 November 2015

Review: salt. by Nayyirah Waheed


Synopsis
Salt is a journey through warmth and sharpness. This collection of poetry explores the realities of multiple identities, language, diasporic life & pain, the self, community, healing, celebration, and love.


*****************************

My Review

5 Stars!


your soul stained my shoulders.
my whole life smells like you.
this will take time.
undoing you from my blood.
-the works


The mere fact that most of this book is highlighted says everything. I saw a quote on Instagram and say Nayyirah Waheed's name upon it, I'm so thankful I saw it and it led me to discover her words.Simple yet powerful words that left me feeling so much. There is this rumble of restrained anger behind some words where in others it isn't held back. There is hurt pain, accepting, healing and so much more. It was like these words had been beaten down by the world yet stood up straight and finally fighting back when they realised they were more than the boxes the world put them in.


you.
not wanting me.
was
the beginning of me
wanting myself.
thank you
-the hurt


I have always enjoyed poetry, especially brutal poetry, the harsh side of life and when people with rough lives put all their passion, anger, raw energy into words and lay them out for the world. It's really something personal and very brave to allow people to read a part of their soul.I think its time to pick up more poetry book since they seem to leave me so inspired.


as a child
there was either
books
or 
pain.
I chose books.
-how I became a writer



No comments:

Post a Comment