Friday 20 November 2015

Review: The V Girl by Mya Robarts



Synopsis
In post-apocalyptic North America, rape and sexual slavery are legal. Lila Velez, desperately wants to lose her virginity before the troops visit her town and can take it away by force. She makes plans to seduce her only friend, Rey, the most attractive man in her town. Lila does not love him but he is the only man who has shown her true affection, an affection she is willing to take as a substitute of love.

Lila’s coping mechanism to her mother’s rape and kidnapping is her secret. A secret that will bring her closer to Aleksey, a foreign, broody man. Lila does not trust him because his links to the troops and his rough, yet irresistible appearance. Aleksey offers Lila an alternative to her plans, a possibility that terrifies her…and tempts her in spite of herself. 

All the while Lila will have to find a way to live in the constant company of death, slavery, starvation, sexual abuse and the danger of losing the people she loves the most.

Due to mature content, this book is intended for +18 readers.

-->Add to Goodreads
--> Buy Links- Amazon UK | Amazon US

____________________________________________

My Review

4 Stars!!


The V Girl is Mya Robart's debut novel and I think she did a very good job on it.It is set in post-apocalyptic North America, a time where sexual abuse, violence and death is a norm. The topics and parts of this book had darkness to it yet it didn't overpower the story. Its a dark subject but it didn't make the book a sort of depressing, gloomy book that it could have been. There were a lot of elements to it with some twists I wasn't expecting.

Lila is a character that has to grow up fast and she becomes head of the family. She is the one everyone relies on and looks up to. With a sick brother and a younger sister to protect from anyone who may try to rape her.She is called V girl since she is a virgin and it is something she wants to get rid of. She wants to lose her virginity with her consent because if or when she gets recruited the soldiers will definitely rape her and take it by force.In her haste to get rid of it she becomes desperate. She decides to ask her friend Rey who she has known forever and trusts.Things don't go to plan when Aleksey Fürst enters the scene.

“You usually can’t recall all the people you’ve shared laughs with. But you rarely forget the people you’ve shared your tears with.”

First of all Lila at points really annoyed me with her desperation to get rid of her virginity like I understood why but she made silly rash decisions that left her in awkward situations. They could have all been avoided and she did do some immature things. I know she is young and I guess that's on me since I usually read adult novels due to the maturity factor.I felt like she jumped to conclusions without thinking things through.

Because I loved Aleksey, I'm sorry but Rey had to be on my shit list. I don't think I've ever liked two guys in a book where they both like the heroine. I love one of them and have to hate the other, I just can't help it. I know Rey wasn't a bad guy but no, just no. I stacked everything against him when I fell for Aleksey. This isn't a love triangle but at times felt like it but not to the point where it put me off since I can't stand love triangles.

I would have loved some chapters to be in Aleksey's point of view since he was quite a mysterious character and I wanted to know more about him. I didn't want this book to end nearing the end I felt a little panicky since I felt like there was quite a lot left, that needed to be added yet there were so little pages left. Will we get more? I felt like it was left quite unfinished like there may be more in store.I felt like the deflowering bit was quite stretched out, like I just wanted it done with and to see their relationship slowly building and becoming stronger.

Mya Robarts..Can we have little Aleskey babies? That would be so awesome! I'd love a novella or something showing them both in the future.There were a few characters I wanted t know more about, what happened to them and so on like Rey's brother and Tristan!

Looking forward to more from this author :)


*Arc provided by the author for an honest review*

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honest review. I'm writing more book about virgin girls and visitants in this society. Aleksey is a secondary character on most of them. The babies ideas had already crossed my mind, let's see.

    ReplyDelete