Saturday 3 May 2014

Review: Ruthless People By J.J.Mcavoy


Synopsis
"Mr. & Mrs. Smith meets the Sopranos..." 

To the outside world, they look like American Royalty, giving to charities, feeding the homeless, rebuilding the city. But behind closed doors is a constant battle for dominance between two Bosses, cultures, and hearts.

Ruthless People is a romantic crime fiction set in modern day Chicago, and follows the life and marriage of Melody Giovanni and Liam Callahan—rivals by blood and leaders through fear. Their marriage, arranged by their fathers in hopes to end years of bloodshed between the Irish and the Italians.

Liam believes he’s getting a simple-minded wife, one he can control, one who bends to his every need . . . the complete opposite of Melody. She knows exactly what type of man he is, and would rather die than give up the power she has spent her life building. 

The Mafia of the past has evolved, and with rival bosses gunning for them, Melody and Liam will have to learn to work as one to take down those who stand in their way.

1 Marriage x 2 Bosses = 3x the Chaos


*Warning: Due to bad language, graphic violence and sex this is for over-18's only* Theses are not mobsters with a heart of gold....

They do VERY bad things and will NOT change.
They are criminals...murders.

If things like that bother you Ruthless People is not for you. You've been warned ;)


My Review
3 Ruthless Stars!!


We kill everybody, my dear.

Some with bullets, some with words and everybody with our deeds.
We drive people into their graves, and neither see or feel it."
~Maxim Gorky



Okay soo I don't really know what to rate this one so the ratings may change..there were parts I really enjoyed and other parts not so much.After reading the synopsis I was really excited to get started with this one, C'mon that synopsis is good an I was really hoping it wouldn't be one of those book which have a great synopsis and then you read it and are like hmmm..wtf? And you just want to smash something because that synopsis gave you false hope.Hope that this book would blow you away and in the end all it blows away is your happy feelings and great mood oh and all the time wasted on the book.

But yeah as I said I did enjoy parts of this book which is based around two mafia families and an arranged marriage which is supposed to bring peace between the Italians and Irish mob. Liam who hasn't seen his bride to be thinks he will be getting some simple woman who he can come home to.But things don't exactly go as he wants them to when he comes face to face with Melody who is fierce, strong, sexy and just as ruthless him.She isn't just a simple woman she is also a boss and wants to keep it that way even after they are married. She wants to know everything that is going on and be an equal.

“She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out she skinned and ate the damn thing just to use it as a coat. She’s a beast."

I found it kind of difficult to like Mel,she is cold, ruthless and blah blah and I know that's how a mob boss is supposed to be and that was fine but I wanted her to be different towards the family and with Liam. She was kind of but I didn't see much character development. I get how her past and how she grew up with little family contributed to how she turned out but I just wanted more change from her. Like dude you can't start pulling out guns and knives and attacking your in-laws! Calm your shit woman!

Liam is awesome! Stubborn, ruthless, hot and childish at times but oh he made me smile and laugh along with him and Declan and Neal.When I found out about his past I was like awwwww! Bless him. He had his moments when I was like urgh Liam stop it! You can't fall in love so easily and I felt like he was trying to hard to get Mel to love him. Like whats to like about her, on the other hand there are lots of likeable qualities in me ;)


This book contains quite a few POVs but the main POVs are Mel and Liam's. I thought I wouldn't like the other family members povs but i ended up enjoying learning more about them and how they got to the place they are now.It helped give more insight to the characters made you even like some characters that on the surface were bland but after finding out more about them you start to view them in a different light.

I wanted this book to be a little more focused on Liam and Mel's relationship and a little less on mafia business but hey it is what it is! Some of the mafia business parts got a little boring or slow for my liking and damn all that swearing :O.. I think I preferred the first half of this book more than the last half.I liked the funny pasts to it and would like more of that.


**ARC kindly provided by publisher on behalf of author via netgalley**




No comments:

Post a Comment